1851 – Irish exiles & last shipment of convicts
St.Andrews Church of England and the Cemetery in Dexter Street are consecrated by the Right Rev. S.R.Nixon on 5th March. A small wooden Catholic Church is completed in William Street and is named St. Mary’s. Over the year several groups of local Military Pensioners volunteer for a tour of duty on the Victorian Gold Fields. Young Irelander exile Mr Thomas Francis O’Meagher is given refuge in Westbury during his escape bid out of Van Diemen’s Land. During the same year, another young Irelander John Mitchel, is given refuge in the Westbury district during his escape bid out of the colony. The last shipment of convicts arrive in Van Diemen’s Land. A large ploughing competition is held on Westfield farm. Mr.George Clancy’s Hotel (later known as The Great Western Hotel) is completed on Meander Valley Road.