1870 – Railway declared open
On 10th February, the Launceston and Western Railway is officially declared open by the Tasmanian Governor Charles du Cane. Mr Daniel Burke is elected Warden of the Westbury Municipal Council. Salmon Trout are distributed into the nearby Meander River. Cab licences are granted for 2 pounds per annum. The Westbury Cricket Club is given a 21 year lease on the area known as the Swamp (Town Common). On 27th June fire destroys the General Havelock Hotel in St.Giles .The licencee, Mr Samuel Chappel, later acquires the licence of the Western Railway and Commercial Hotel on the Meander Valley Road.