1855 – Tasmania named, Richard Dry knighted
On January 1st 1855 Van Diemen’s Land is officially named Tasmania. Mr.Thomas White issues a series of copper shop tokens for customers to use in his King Street store. Mr Richard Dry Jnr, the owner of the vast Quamby Estate near Hagley,is knighted by Queen Victoria. A schoolhouse and headmaster’s residence in the Queenstown suburb are completed. Mr. Moore Simmons is the Publican of the Quamby Arms Inn situated on Meander Valley Road.